Today’s students are tomorrow’s leaders of a country and the qualities of the student clearly determine the students’ bright future and carrier path. So, who is a good student? What are the qualities of a good student? Historically, the term ‘student’ referred anyone who learns something. However, the recent definition of a “student” is anyone who attends school, college, or university.
Again, what are the good qualities of a student?
(1) Attitude: Basically, a good student possesses the ability and willingness to learn new subjects even the subjects are not interesting.
(2) Academic skills: Acquiring academic skills is the most important quality of a good student. Ability to read comprehensively, to write effectively, to speak fluently, and to communicate clearly are the key areas in which a good student must be proficient. Having a good handle in all these areas will make a student to shine in a class.
(3) Ability: A good student has the ability to apply the results of his or her learning into a creative way and achieve the goals.
(4) Perceptiveness: How well a student can interpret and perceive meanings from a conversation greatly determines the quality of a good. A good student always perceives right meaning from conversations, but an average student often misunderstands the original thoughts of a speaker or writer and derives a wrong conclusion.
(5) Self-Discipline: Discipline in managing the time is an important factor that every good student must possess. Often times, delaying the tasks, such as writing assignments, reading text books, etc, may negatively impact the ability of a student to achieve the goals.
(6) Understanding rather than memorizing concepts: A lot of surveys suggest students must understand the concepts rather than just memorizing them. The memorized facts and theories will stay in students’ memory until they leave school, college, or university. Once out of school, the students will totally forget the core concepts that they learned. Therefore, it is essential a good student understand the concepts.